Students Experiencing Unbearable Stress

March 9, 2017

Teenagers in today’s society experience extreme amounts of stress. They have a basic understanding of what stress is, but they lack the knowledge of how to handle those stressful moments. Students that were interviewed said that they stress about “school/work, family, social pressures and trying to find a balanced life.” These are stressors that students face on a day to day basis but what are they doing to relieve that stress? Those who were interviewed said that they “do nothing to relieve their stress.”

According to Medline Plus, students should get more sleep, have a healthy diet and, exercise daily. “Teens should get at least 8 hours of sleep every night” a quote from Medline Plus. It’s difficult for students to get enough sleep, because they feel that there are simply not enough hours in the day to get everything done.”Like many adults, teens often reach for unhealthy snacks when they are under stress,” another quote from Medline Plus. Eating healthy becomes an even bigger challenge when you’re stressed.

When stressed, it’s common for people to favor “comfort foods” and make unhealthy choices. Medline Plus recommends filling your fridge with healthy choices. So when those stressful moments appear, you will be less tempted to make unhealthy choices. “Getting regular exercise is one of the best ways to beat stress, for both adults and teens,” a quote from Medline Plus. Medline Plus encourages teens to find a physical activity that they enjoy. Some examples that were given are “team sports or other activities like yoga, wall climbing, swimming, dancing, or hiking.”

Healthy Children is another website that is organised by pediatrics who say teenagers should take time for themselves and relax, which seems hard for teenagers to do, but it is possible to take a minute to relax. “Everyone deserves time for themselves,” a quote from Healthy Children. Healthy Children recommends teens to take time for themselves by enjoying a hobby, “taking a mini-vacation”, and “reading.” In conclusion, it is important to take care of your body, and enjoy time by yourself.