AP Classes: Are They REALLY Worth It?

Necklace made by Zoey Gottlieb in AP 3D Tech.

In the continuous pursuit of academic excellence by many students, Advanced Placement (AP) classes have been the answer to their prayers. AP classes are demanding in the hopes of expanding the boundaries of education for high school students. These classes offer benefits such as; college credit, students’ preparedness for college, and good impressions on college admissions as well as the opportunity to learn . 

Thomas Worthington High School offers 19 AP classes. Many students take AP classes for the benefits of college credits. Colleges will typically accept AP classes as a credit depending on AP exam scores. Scores range from 1-5. One being the lowest score and five being the highest.  

“I took the AP classes mostly for the credit, but also because I like being academically challenged. The science AP’s are also good for my intended college major.” says Senior Molly Bower, who intends to major in biochemistry. 

The rigorous course loads of AP classes are intended with student preparation in mind. AP curriculum is fast-paced and students must be willing to take significant times out of their day for homework, studying or brushing up on topics learned in class that day. This is similar to college curriculums where students must be willing to put in hours after class to go over new topics that professors do not have a lot of time going over with classes of up to 200+ students. 

“Although I have some amazing AP teachers, there is so much content to be learned in these classes, and you have to take the time to learn some of it outside of class.” Bower reflects. But with all that being said, not all AP classes are ones you have to take notes and study for. Thomas also offers a variety of AP classes that are art based. AP 3D Tech is an upper level craft class. AP 3D allows students to use metalsmithing techniques and make jewelry. 

AP classes are certainly not mandatory for college applications or transcripts, but for some students are beneficial to what they want to do outside of high school.