A Guide to Exam Week

Payton McClintock, Writer

As exam week quickly approaches, students begin to feel the stress and tension that goes along with it.  Exam grades, that account for 20 percent of the semester grade, can either make or break you.  Regurgitating all of the material you’ve learned in the past 180 days onto a single test can be overwhelming, to say the least.  Although final exams may seem like the end of the world, it’s important to remember that a test will never feel intimidating as long as you are prepared for it.

The first step to not only surviving, but conquering exam week is to study in advance.  Ask teachers a few weeks prior for the review guide. Chances are they will give it to a student showing enough initiative to ask for it.  By studying little by little over a long period of time, you can avoid the mass of material that can sneak up if you procrastinate.

The next step is to have everything ready the night before.  Upon waking up the morning of your hardest exam, the last thing you want to do is scramble for pencils and paper that you ran out of weeks ago.  By getting a good amount of sleep and having a normal morning, you will walk into the exam feeling confident.

Finally, the last step is to stay calm.  Unfortunately, this step may be easier said than done.  Although exams may seem to be a huge deal, a single test grade is not capable of trashing your chances of getting into college or finding a job that pays above  minimum wage.  So, dress comfortably, bring a snack, and be optimistic of your abilities.