The student news site of Thomas Worthington High School

2016 Presidential Debates

Liam Hull

Now that the first of the 2016 Presidential Debates has set the election season off with a bang, people are more eager to watch and see how the two candidates face off against each other, with their own set of ideologies.

As for the two candidates that faced off against one another, in one corner, there is Donald Trump running for president under the Republican Party. In the other corner, there is Hillary Clinton, presidential nominee under the Democratic Party. There will be four presidential debates total, three of which are dedicated to the position of the president, and the other dedicated to the position of vice president. During the debates, regardless of dedications, the two candidates will present their ideologies to the public on live television, and then critique or comment on views of the opposing candidate. The dates and locations for all of the events have been determined.

The first presidential debate, between Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton, took place on Monday, September 26th. Held at Hofstra University, Hempstead, New York, tickets for each individual presidential debate are controlled and distributed by the hosting university and are very limited, because the debates are mainly produced for television. The second presidential debate will be on Sunday, October 9th, 2016. The location of the event will be at Washington University in St. Louis Missouri. Lastly, the third presidential debate will be held on Wednesday, October 19th, 2016 and will be held at University of Nevada, Las Vegas, Nevada. These events have a significant influence on the American public.

During the debates, each candidate will be asked a question from the moderator, which will vary in each event. The first debate will be moderated by Lester Holt, Anchor, NBC Nightly News, the second by Anderson Cooper, Anchor, CNN, and the last by Chris Wallace, Anchor, Fox News Sunday. Typically the format of presidential debates are consist with the same basis, with various time frames. Each debate will have segments on major topics selected by the moderator. Donald & Hillary will know a minimum of a weak in advance the topics of the event. The moderator will ask a question in relation to the major topic of the current segment, and then each candidate will have two minutes to respond with their thoughts. Then the candidates will then be able to respond to each other’s comments, opinions, and thoughts. The moderator intends to use the time appropriately to inquire a good discussion as possible.

Each debate will be broadcasted live on television for the American public. There are a wide range of TV channels to watch the event on, including C-SPAN, ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC. Cable news channels will also be broadcasting the live debate, CNN, Fox News, and MSNBC, just to name a few. As for actually attending the event, tickets are limited, because the debates are primarily purposed for television broadcast. According to an article on CNN, ‘Trump calls for presidential debates with ‘no moderator.” He says this statement in the CNN article, “The fact is that they’re gaming the system. I think that maybe we should just have no moderator. Let Hillary and I sit there and just debate,” Trump said in a phone interview on CNBC’s “Squawk Box” Monday morning. If only we could just let them have at it.

3 Comments

3 Responses to “2016 Presidential Debates”

1. Kyndal Williams on September 30th, 2016 8:55 am

Very good article!!!

[Reply]

2. Mackenzie Shay on September 30th, 2016 11:33 am

This is a great article

[Reply]

3. Mme. Hunter on September 30th, 2016 12:08 pm

Très bon article, Liam!!

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Showcase

Announcements for Tuesday September 26, 2017

• 2016 Presidential Debates

News

Take a Bite Out of Pancake Day!

• 2016 Presidential Debates

Culture

Students Experiencing Unbearable Stress

• 2016 Presidential Debates

Showcase

Believeland: Renewing the Faith

• Showcase

GussStrong

• 2016 Presidential Debates

News

Congress Overrides Obama’s Veto on 9/11 Bill

• 2016 Presidential Debates

Opinion

Beyoncé, IRL

• TWHS Announcements

Announcements for Monday October 2, 2017

• Showcase

• TWHS Announcements

Announcements for Friday September 22, 2017