The student news site of Thomas Worthington High School

Trump’s Healthcare plan

November 1, 2017

An+individual+protesting+TrumpCare+stating+how+many+people+would+negatively+be+affected+by+it.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Trump’s Healthcare plan

An individual protesting TrumpCare stating how many people would negatively be affected by it.

President Trump and the GOP plan to repeal Obama’s Affordable Care Act (ACA) plan and replace it with a different health care plan. Trump’s opinion on the ACA is that it is a first amendment infringement, tweeting “Republicans must be careful in that the Dems own the failed ObamaCare disaster, with its poor coverage and massive premium increases……” The controversial bill (Graham Cassidy) was introduced to Congress by Ted Cruz and Mike Lee. Some people are concerned that the bill will not leave a lot of options, especially for people with pre-existing conditions.

Additionally, those who want more coverage may not receive it. According to TrumpCare.com, a third party for-profit website,  “Insurers are not entirely behind this amendment because they believe that by essentially creating one set of plans for sick people (Obamacare-compliant plans) and one set that will be attractive to healthy people because they will be cheaper, but have fewer benefits, it will make the Obamacare plans unaffordable for consumers because the healthy people won’t be buying them as well and insurance carriers will still leave the marketplace.” 

Trump also tried to entice the people against the Graham-Cassidy bill by giving more funding to their states. For example, Alaska was given a three percent increase as well as Arizona (14 percent) and Kentucky (4 percent).

“The revised bill includes provisions that would steer more federal funding to Alaska, Arizona, and Kentucky. All three are home states of senators representing pivotal GOP swing votes who either have opposed or expressed concerns with the bill” — John McCain, Rand Paul, and Lisa Murkowski.

However, Democrats said “Senate Republicans are using misleading numbers to obscure massive funding cuts still in the Graham-Cassidy plan.” according to Politico writers Rachana Pradhan and Dan Diamond.

In the end, the Graham Cassidy bill failed. With every Senate Democrat and three Senate Republicans, Rand Paul (KY), John McCain (AZ), and Susan Collins (ME) against the bill it was a definite loss for the Republicans. Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC) a co-author of the bill said at a press conference that the bill will be coming back after taxes because he believes it will eventually pass. Though, Sen. Bill Cassidy (R-LA) the other co-author believes there just aren’t enough votes.