The student news site of Thomas Worthington High School
Back to Article
Back to Article

Homecoming Parade!

The Junior Class participates in the Homecoming Parade. Their 1970's themed float was a great addition to the theme 'Through the Decades'.

Haleigh Blanchard

Haleigh Blanchard

Haleigh Blanchard

Homecoming Parade!

Homecoming 2017

Thomas Worthington High School has an annual parade to celebrate homecoming, but this year they took it back a couple of decades. People from each sports team, Homecoming nominees, cheerleaders, and the band came to celebrate by participating in the exciting event. It took place in the evening before the Friday night football game. The parade started at Evening Street Elementary School, crossed over West Dublin Granville Road and ended directly in front of the stadium.

Every year each class makes a float that the student council gets to ride in. The Sophomore class is required to plan homecoming, so it was only fair that they got to pick what era they wanted. With that being said, the sophomores decided on the 60’s. The freshman picked 90’s, juniors have the 70’s and seniors picked the 80’s. We decided to interview student council members from each class to find out more information on what they are going to have in their float to fit the theme of each decade.

Freshman Student Council Representative, Abby Blanchard, told said “The freshman class are used materials including chicken wire, tissue paper, and cardboard. The tissue paper is being used at the background with the chicken wire holding it up.”

The freshman class is also made a Buzz Lightyear cutout to showcase on their 1990s Toy Story themed float.

A member and representative of the sophomore class, Leah Lindemeyer said, “My class is made an arch and attached a disco ball to it. Everyone is going to dress in bright colors and use tinsel to make the float stand out!”

Lindsey VanFossen
The sophomores are all decked out in their disco gear!

Tori Banks a member of the junior class, explained that instead of doing an actual float, they will be getting a bus and having a peace protest while they are dressed up.

Gabrielle Avila
As members of the senior class, Mylee, Alexus and Claire threw it back to the with this look.

Alexus Rock, a part of the senior class student council, remarked that the theme of the senior class float is the 80’s, so they are making it into an arcade.

This year the parade was highly student organized. A lot of student involvement was necessary to create floats matching the homecoming theme as well  costumes. Also, many people in our community, from various organizations , were involved in the parade.

Sloan Phallen a representative of the sophomore class and participant in the parade said, “A lot of planning went into it but, I think it paid off!”

TWHS NEWS • Copyright 2018 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in