Veterans Day 2017 at TWHS

Rachel Kinnaird

If you’ve been around the school within the past few days, you’ve definitely noticed all the red, white, and blue decorations set up for Veterans Day! Even though Veterans’ Day is actually on November 11, TWHS celebrated on November 9. Throughout the day, students headed down to the library during their history classes to honor vets who have served and those who are still serving. After all the vets had introduced themselves, students were able to listen to them talk about their experiences and ask them questions.

One veteran visiting the school was Mr. Chuck Murray. He fought in the Vietnam War, and now does Honor Flights, a program in which free flights to Washington, D.C. are provided to veterans from WWII so they can visit memorials from the war they fought in. Mr. Murray has participated in 56 flights so far. One question he was asked was “what life lessons has serving taught you?” to which Mr. Murray responded, “Don’t take life for granted because you can’t redo it. Live life to its fullest, and always treasure your family.”

Mrs. Eden Cobb also came to talk to students. She talked about her experiences in boot camp and her life now as a part of the Navy, and all the many places she’s visited while serving. When asked if being in the Navy was difficult, Mrs. Cobb told us that her first four years serving just seemed to fly by. She’s been serving in the Navy for 6 years and 8 months and plans to continue serving.

In all, it was great having veterans visiting and speaking at our school, and was a great learning experience for students. Thank you to the veterans who visited TWHS, and thank you to all the veterans, past and present, who have served the USA.