The Uprise Of School Shootings

Map detailing the location of school shootings, courtesy of CNN.com. Link to site in article.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/02/us/school-shootings-2018-list-trnd/index.html

Maddy Miles

Many students in The United State are feeling unsafe with the up rise of school shootings in the last 5 years. According to CNN, since the Parkland School Shooting on February 14, 2018, there has been 9 school shootings, which brings the total to 17 shootings in 2018. This means that there are about 1.5 shootings a week. In the last month there have been many threats to schools in Central Ohio.

Many students are afraid to go to school because they do not feel safe and protected. Students in central Ohio have been impacted because of the threats going towards their school . In the Columbus City district, Beechcroft was one of the school that had threats and went on lock-down.

Jelani Simmons, a student at Beechcroft High School said, “Many students were afraid to come to school, many either left school when they heard about the news or didn’t show up at all. It made me more aware on who to look out for and keep my eyes open.” 

Students at Thomas Worthington are concerned that their school is going to get threats. “Ever since the shooting in Florida, I feel like I need to be more aware and open at school,” senior, Ayanna Harris said.

According to The Columbus Dispatch, the Lakewood school district in Licking County was closed, due to shooting threats and students threatening to shoot kids at the schools. At Fredericktown High School, a juvenile is being held at a detention center and is being charged for inducing panic at a school facility and aggravated menacing. The student was accused of leaving scraps of notebook paper threatening classmates with bomb and gun attacks.

Westerville South High School was temporarily locked down Friday morning. During this time Blendon Middle School, Pointview Elementary and the Academic Enrichment Center, were all temporarily locked out, a designation that meant administrators closely monitored who entered and left the building. Later that same day, Westerville police arrested a 17-year-old student and charged him with inducing panic and tampering with evidence. He was being held in the Franklin County Juvenile Detention Center. Police did not release his name.

According to The Columbus Dispatch“The recent events in Florida have heightened all of our concerns about school safety,” said Columbus City Schools Interim Superintendent John Stanford. “No one should be afraid to come to school to learn, to work,” he said at a news conference.