Maryland School Shooting

After the Maryland school shooting, students take matters into their own hands around the U.S by marching for their lives.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:2018_March_For_Our_Lives_14.jpg

Abigail Karagory, Writer

On Tuesday, March 20th, another school shooting took place at Great Mills High School in Maryland, leaving 2 students dead and 1 injured. The gunman was identified as 17-year-old, Austin Wyatt Rollins. A school resource officer was able to engage Rollins and stopped the threat.

Right before class started, at 7:55 a.m, Rollins shot a female student and a male student with a handgun. Officer Blane Gaskill responded to the scene in less than a minute. Both Gaskill and Rollins fired rounds simultaneously at one another.

While Officer Gaskill remained unharmed, Rollins was taken to the hospital and pronounced dead.The male student who was shot by Rollins was found to be in stable condition.

As for the 16-year-old female student, Jaelynn Willey, she was taken to the hospital and found to be in critical condition under life threatening injuries. According to authorities, Rollins and Willey had a previous relationship together.

On Thursday, March 22nd, the Willey family announced  that Jaelynn would be taken off life support stating, “she will not make it.” Willey passed away peacefully that Thursday at 11:30 p.m.

Willey was apart of the Great Mills High School swimming team. She was also the second oldest of 9 siblings. Maryland Governor, Larry Hogan said in a statement, “It is with terribly broken hearts that we learn of the tragic news regarding Jaelynn Willey, no parent should ever be faced with a decision like this.”

St. Mary’s County Sheriff, Tim Cameron, called the shooting “our worst nightmare.”

“This is what we prepare for,” he said. “And this is what we pray we never have to do.” After the shooting at Great Mills High School, students are adding more to the #marchforourlives argument, leading it to be the 12th school shooting in 2018.