Homecoming Parade: A Night In The City

The+Junior+class+student+council+members+posed+on+their+New+York+parade+float.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Homecoming Parade: A Night In The City

The Junior class student council members posed on their New York parade float.

Caroline Darling, Writer

Thomas Worthington Student Council members were busy last week preparing for all the festivities that make up their busiest time of the year: homecoming week.

These events included the Homecoming Parade, the bonfire, the kickball game, the football game, spirit week, and the dance itself. Senior Class President Tori Banks noted coming into the week, “There is a massive amount of work that goes into making everything run smoothly. We will all be working up to the day itself in preparation.”

The theme of this year’s homecoming was “A Night In The City.” For the homecoming parade, each class was in charge of designing and constructing a parade float that goes along with the dance theme. Junior Class Representative JD Mooney said, “The freshmen float is vegas themed, Sophomores are doing Hollywood, Juniors are doing New York City, and Seniors are doing New Orleans.” It was clear everyone was excited to show off all the hard work that was put into the floats.

In addition to the parade, students also showed their school spirit by having dress-up themes for each day of homecoming week. The themes this year included sports/clubs, tourist day, PJ day, teacher/student swap day, and pink out. To choose these themes, the student body voted via google classroom. Senior class representative Mia Potenzini noted, “We did a google classroom vote because we wanted to give students a say in what the themes are. We think it’s important the student’s voices not on the council are heard as well.”

Student Council was also busy coordinating and preparing for the dance. The Sophomore and Senior Class were in charge of planning the event, but all members of the student council help will help in some faucet. Saturday morning before the event students will be busy setting up and will return on Sunday morning to tear down and clean up. Junior Class Representative Helena Michalski said, “We have put a lot of work into making it memorable for students.” Students capped off an exciting week with a successful homecoming dance.