Political Pipe Bombs

%0APipe+Bomb+sent+to+John+Brenann%2C+an+American+Intelligence+Official.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Political Pipe Bombs

Pipe Bomb sent to John Brenann, an American Intelligence Official.

Olivia Murray, Writer

Over the last few weeks, multiple prominent figures, specifically Democrats who President Trump has shown opposition to, have had pipe bombs sent to their homes. The figures include former President Barack Obama, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, former US Attorney General Eric Holder, California Senator Kamala Harris, Actor Robert De Niro, New Jersey Senator Cory Booker and California Representative Maxine Waters.  All bombs delivered did not go off and were apprehended immediately (NY Times).

A suspect is now in custody, Cesar Sayoc, 56, of Aventura, Florida. He says that the pipe bombs were not made to hurt anyone however, Sayoc is still facing five federal charges including;  interstate transportation of an explosive, illegal mailing of explosives, threats against former presidents and other persons, threatening interstate communications and assaulting current and former federal officers. Sayoc is being held in custody in Miami awaiting trial (CNN).

After his arrest, questions arose about the political nature of his attempted attacks. It also sparked right hand conspiracies about whether or not a Democrat had sent the bombs to stir up trouble for the fast approaching election. However, after being apprehended,  Soyac’s social media was immediately checked and on it were jokes about liberals and Trumps famous “Make America Great” slogan. Also a video was tweeted at Trump on September 20th, threatening former Vice President Joe Biden and Holder, whom have both been targeted over these weeks. This proved that his conservative views are a possible motivation for the bombs.

Soyac’s criminal past was also looked into and was anything but clean. In 2002 he called a power company threatening to bomb them, stating “it would be worse than 9/11.” He was immediately arrested. Soyac pleaded guilty, but he was only sentenced a year of parole.

Now Sayoc faces trial and 48 years in prison if convicted. Trump has made it clear he does not condone the violence, stating  “We have to come together and send one clear strong unmistakable message that acts or threats of political violence of any kind have no place in The United States of America”. Most of the targets have not commented on the event in question except for Hillary Clinton thanking the secret service for handling the pipe bomb that had been delivered to her house (The Hill). The authorities are confident in their suspect, and no one has been hurt, these attempted bombings have stirred up anger and differing opinions across the nation.