The student news site of Thomas Worthington High School

Girls Cross Country Team Puts in the Miles

TWHS Girls XC team run on the Hamilton field turf.

Fall sports are at a peak right now at TWHS, with school starting up again in this unusually warm September weather. Athletes have been pushing through these past couple of weeks, specifically, the Thomas Worthington High School Girls XC team. Putting in over 30 miles a week, which includes early Saturday mornings, extreme heat, dehydration, cramps, and long practices.
While running seems like an individual activity, many have a misconception that it’s an internal battle with between the runner and their psyche. However, after multiple interviews, it seems that XC is nearly impossible to do in isolation. In fact, most of the team admits that they can’t do it alone and that the team plays an important role in their decision to run XC.

“The team is really great, I feel like we all just get along well,” senior Caroline Murphy said. While XC may seem like a mental game to one individual, there are plenty of team aspects to it as well. Most teammates admit that the joy they get out of this sport comes from others.

“I have the most fun on long runs because I can talk to people and a lot of my friends do it,” said senior Abby Whalen. The best practices are the team bonding ones; the practices spent running 4-7 miles are the most enjoyable ones according to Abby Whalen along with many others on the team.

All of this fun consisting of long runs, practices, team bonding, friendships, etc. are only a portion of the sport, which leaves the “game days” of XC.. However, despite the physical pain of race days, many XC runners describe it as a mental battle.

“Just a little bit of pain then it’s gonna be over and you’re gonna feel good,” Alaina Smullen said. “The feeling when you’re done is great because everyones’ happy at the end.”
All runners have a different mindset that gets them through this mental battle.

“When I’m done, I’m gonna feel like I’m on top of the world,” said junior Mary Darling. Because of how mentally and physically tough races can be, athletes that participate in XC learn to become incredibly strong human beings and learn to have a patient mind. They learn to believe in themselves, conquer problems and obstacles that life may bring, all because of the strong mindset a runner inquires while getting through races.

Many overlook the benefits XC can have in life, providing friendships, endurance, and other long-term benefits. Mary Darling uses her mental skills developed from XC. “It helps with my mental health, keeps me motivated,” said Darling.