The student news site of Thomas Worthington High School

Leaders of The Flock

Cardinal Crazies on their role in building TWHS school spirit
The+Cardinal+Crazies+lead+the+students+section+during+the+football+game+against+Kilbourne+8%2F25%2F23.+Left+to+right+starting+with+2nd+on+left%3A+Olivia+Limbach%2C+Owen+Zedeker%2C+Cameron+Stoller%2C+Sam+Couch%2C+Katelyn+Breedlove%2C+Reese+Laakso.+
The Cardinal Crazies lead the students section during the football game against Kilbourne 8/25/23. Left to right starting with 2nd on left: Olivia Limbach, Owen Zedeker, Cameron Stoller, Sam Couch, Katelyn Breedlove, Reese Laakso.

The fall sports season is well underway for the Thomas Worthington 2023 school year, as parents and students flood the stands. Though the student section is always full and continuing to expand, The Cage wouldn’t be complete without the Cardinal Crazies. The Crazies set Thomas Worthington’s student section apart from many. This year’s Crazies include 7 picks; Andrew Holben, Cameron Stoller, Katelyn Breedlove, Reese Laakso, Sam Couch, Owen Zedeker, and Olivia Limbach.

Senior, and Cardinal Crazy Reese Laakso defines the Cardinal Crazies as, “an enthusiastic group of students that are dedicated to making student sections more energetic as a way to support our athletic teams.” 

The Cardinal Crazies fulfill the purpose of making the student section experience top tier by bringing whiteboards, providing spirit theme essentials, and starting all chants and cheers. New Crazies are drafted yearly by the previous picks from the year before. Picks must represent the student body well and have the ability to make games fun while pushing the boundaries of the school’s annual regulations. 

Liv Limbach, sister of former Cardinal Crazy, Zoe Limbach, feels that “participating and showing your support while making sure to stay on top of tasks” are the essential qualities necessary for being chosen your senior year. 

The Cardinal Crazies contribute to the high energy of the student section by throwing tailgates in the surrounding school areas as a way to rile up the crowd. They advertise things like food, water and chips, and play loud music in order to bring together as many students as possible. These events are funded by parents and teachers through a GoFundMe account for the group. Big events call for big responsibilities when it comes to leading the school’s sporting events.

“A critical part of being a Crazy was the loyalty I upheld throughout the school year,” former Cardinal Crazy, Owen Ryan(’22) said. “I had to be the loudest during all games no matter the sport and found a way to show up with as many people as I could.”

As the 2023 sports seasons continue, the Cardinal Crazies and supporting students will stand on the front line, cheering the Cards to victory.