The student news site of Thomas Worthington High School

Love is in the air; Things to give, and ways to give back this valentines day

With love in the air, and valentines day creeping around the corner it can be stressful to know what to get your special someone.  Whether you’re experiencing highschool love with your significant other, want to get a gift for somebody you platonically love, or spread love by giving back to the community TWHS news has got you covered.  

While true love can’t be bought, a thoughtful valentines day gift can make your sweetie feel special. Many students have made a 2024 goal to save money, so what are some affordable ways to get the person you love a thoughtful present?  Senior Ryleigh Sharp has no valentine this year, or any years in the past. She does have a long list of gift ideas for her special someone she hopes to meet someday.  “I would probably make somebody cookies or their favorite sweet treat, I think that would be a really thoughtful present they could share with me, and other friends.”  Sharp continues by saying “you could also cook their favorite food and take them on a picnic, it would be a fun experience that would cost almost nothing”.  A great idea if you’re looking to cook something for your special somebody is to use the TWHS Holiday Cookbook  to find a festive flavorful winter recipe spanning from Swedish meatballs, roasted chicken, all the way to peppermint cookies.  Another senior, Jack Murphy says, he and his secret valentine both love fashion. Murphy says, “I’m gonna go to the thrift store and make a vintage bundle, It will make him think of me whenever he wears the new clothes”. 

So what if you’re trying to splurge for your Sweetheart? TWHS news has a power couple or our own! Thomas Hayward and Ivy Kleinman. Kleinman says “Thomas got me a ring for Christmas and it was very nice, jewelry is nice if you wanted to splurge.  We’re also not big on spending a lot on gifts.” Hayward continued by saying “I think experiences are a really good gift, making memories and stuff.”

So what about the students who aren’t in a standing relationship?  High School is filled with talking stages, casual dating, and more recently coming to light is the term “Situationship.” How do you know if you’re supposed to get this person a gift?  A great way to decide if you want to get them a gift, is by deciding if you want to enter a relationship with this person.  “I plan on asking somebody to be my girlfriend on valentine’s day, and getting her a present.  It could be fun to do that if you want to make the relationship something more.  If you don’t feel that spark I would refrain from buying them a gift.  Save your money” A TW

HS student who would like to remain anonymous said.  

If you don’t have a bae this year?  A trend spiraling on Tik Tok, Pinterest, and other social media is hosting a “Galentine’s”  day party.  Making it a bit more inclusive to all your single friends, a great option is throwing a “Pal-entines” day party for you and all your single friends.  What would you do at this party? Some of the trendy activities include taking fun photos, making pizzas, watching your favorite rom-coms, and decorating cakes.  If you’re looking to do something alone, consider treating yourself by buying yourself your favorite treat. – After all, self love is just as important. –   Senior Anneliese Grimm says “I’m gonna buy my favorite candy and have a chill night in.”

Valentine’s day is about so much more than just celebrating and buying gifts for the person who makes your heart throb.  Lots of people use Valentine’s Day to give back and spread love to the less fortunate.  A popular place to volunteer is a retirement home.  Whether you want to bring sweet treats, homemade cards, or just go keep the elderly company. Sunrise retirement, and Senior living, a retirement home right in the heart of worthington is always looking for Volunteers! 

Nationwide Children’s Hospital  is also always looking for volunteers to come spend time with youth.  Valentine’s day could be a great day to get a group of loved ones together to give back to the community, and make some new friends when you’re at it.   

Whether you’re looking to give to a special someone this year, or just give back to the community TWHS news loves you, and hopes this 2024 Valentine’s day holds lots of memories!! Happy Valentine’s season.