Field Hockey Clutches Fourth Title

Mallary Weinsz

On Saturday November 7, 2015 the Thomas Worthington Field Hockey team beat Hudson 3-0 and won a well deserved state title. The team went 20-0-1 during their season, letting no one stand in their way of the gold.

During warm-ups on Saturday the team found out that their offensive leader, Hana Sinno, would be unable to play due to an ankle injury in the semi-final the previous day. This unsettled players but didn’t stop them. The players knew that their response to the situation would determine the outcome, so they dug deep and got it done.

After a slow first half, the Cardinals refocused at half time when head coach Simonetti Frost told them to “get your minds rights, have better body control and better body language.”

Thomas Worthington finished with a 9-3 penalty corner advantage and outshot Hudson 9-0. A goal by freshman Sarah Charley put the Cards up 1-0 with 23:29 left in the second half and changed the momentum of the game. Soon after, senior, Taylor Insley took a pass from sophomore Maya McDaniel and sent the ball flying past the goalie into the corner of the cage to put the Cards up 2-0 with 20:44 left to play.

“One of our coaches said it’s like ‘getting pickles out of a jar,’” senior Ellie Potts said. “Once you get one in, it’s always easier to score after that” (Distpatch).

The final goal was scored by sophomore Paige Lampman off of a rebounded shot by Potts (senior), which put the Cards up 3-0 with 13:01 left to play. All 3 goals were scored off of penalty corners, which coach Terri Simonetti Frost stressed about everyday in practice.

This is the Cardinals’ fourth title, coach Terri Simonetti Frost’s third title and 17th season coaching. Simonetti Frost made an appearance in the state championship game in 2013 against Columbus Academy, with half of her 2015 state title team by her side. “I really wanted this for my eight seniors, I wanted to get 2013 behind us and go full circle this year. It never gets old” Simonetti said after the game (Dispatch).

“All I wanted was for my seniors to have that gold around their necks, a feeling they should have had in 2013” said sophomore Maya Mcdaniel, who assisted the second goal.

The 2015 state championship team will be recognized for their accomplishments at a Worthington School Board meeting on Monday November 23, as well as a City Council meeting on Monday December 7.