Celebrating the Diversity of TWHS: International Day Taking Place This Friday

Student participants pose after last year’s successful International Day celebration.

Kanyae Lees

On Friday, November 18, Thomas Worthington High School will be hosting the second annual International Day. Junior Ashley Lopez, who has been involved with the program since last year, says that International Day is a celebration where “where everyone who has different backgrounds comes together and shows the school that it’s very diverse”

With over 27 countries being represented this year, this International Day is going to be bigger than last year. Isha Wurie says another change they made is they added little activities to each country to boost interaction. Each group of students representing their country has their own table with a trifold containing information about their country, and they “bring their food and they talk about the culture and dress in their cultural outfits to spread awareness”.

Events like International Day are very important for the school. Brenda Ortiz says that it can give “a different perspective” to students and open their eyes to different cultures. Diversity and inclusion are really important for a positive school atmosphere, and celebrations like International Day can greatly help with that.

The Unido Club has been responsible for organizing International Day. They meet every other Wednesday to work on tri-folds and check in with each other on their progress. Unido Club has also planned a spirit week in alignment with International day. Unido Club is very active on Instagram, previewing and showcasing events they are putting on. There are posters on bulletin boards around the school with information about how to get involved with the Unido Club.
Students can come down to the Aux gym during their lunch periods on Friday to experience International Day firsthand. Students should expect a good time, says Isha.
“A lot of good energy and good vibes. Lots of music, like a party.” Ashley says one way students can get the most out of this experience is to ask “the people from the countries about their experiences here or from their country” and to not just take the food and leave.