Valentine’s Day: It’s the Thought that Counts

Banners+in+the+hallways+at+TWHS+remind+us+to+spread+the+love+today+and+always.+

Deven Dickerson

Banners in the hallways at TWHS remind us to ‘spread the love’ today and always.

Lily McAlister

Valentine’s day is a special time of year for many people all over the world. It occurs every year on February 14th. It is a day to celebrate love, whether it’s with your partner, family, friends, or just anyone that you love and appreciate in your life.

As time goes on, prices are continuing to rise for food, toys, clothes, etc. If you are like every other person during the holidays, you want to do your best to save money while purchasing gifts. Most stores/websites tend to sell certain holiday-based items for cheaper once the holiday is over, which is upsetting for most people, who prefer to celebrate on the holiday, not after it.

High school is a peak time in students’ lives to interact, and build relationships with the people around them. So of course, many students want to get their special someone a gift for Valentine’s day. However, not all have jobs, or parents that are willing to buy these gifts.

But, there are other options.

Doing a simple craft made from things you have around your home will be just as meaningful as an elaborate gift. Plus, it comes from the heart, and whoever you are giving it to will know that you spent a lot of time to make it just perfect for them. It really is the thought that counts. Sophomore Riley Bowers says, “You could even just make a homemade card, or write a letter.”

So there it is, Valentine’s Day can still be romantic and loving even without a big bouquet of roses or a box of chocolates. If the person you are gifting loves their basic homemade gift, then keep them in your life. That means they love you no matter what.