Who is Mr. Thornhill?

Nathan Thornhill, assistant principal at TWHS while on a trip to Saint Louis, Senegal. He is an avid traveler and explorer of cultures.

At the beginning of the school year, many students noticed a friendly, but unfamiliar face at TWHS: Assistant Principal, Mr. Nathan Thornhill. With ease, any student can identify that he is a part of the staff. But who is he? What are his goals as he starts his first year? What are his interests outside of work? 

Thornhill was born and raised in Xenia, Ohio. He came to Columbus for his undergraduate degree at Capital University, finally moving to Brooklyn, New York where he began his career in education as a Spanish teacher.

Thornhill prides himself on his involvement with students and building relationships. As a  sophomore in college, he was preparing for his first trip abroad and needed some spending money for his trip. He was able to get a job where his father worked as a camp leader, where he gained his first taste of teaching young people. 

“I can’t believe I’m getting paid to teach basketball to kids and build relationships, it felt natural,” Thornhill said.

Another one of Thornhill’s most formative experiences was at the beginning of his career. Creating relationships was a natural connection for him. His second time abroad was to Argentina where he did community work in rural areas. All though they were geographically from very different areas and cultures, the kids he worked with would gravitate towards him.

“Humans, once you go into those communities that people have stereotypes about and realize that anywhere you go on this planet where you attempt to speak in their language and show them respect, you’re going to be fine, Thornhill said.”

He is grateful for the relationships and experiences he has gained, but still has goals for the remainder of his first year at Thomas Worthington.

“I just want to add as much value to the community as possible by building relationships and learning about what’s already happening to see where I fit in to enhance what’s happening,” Thornhill said.7 “I think that’s the best approach when you’re new in a space, is to just do your research; be kind to people to see where you’re needed before I come in here and tell you what’s needed.”

During the few months Thornhill has spent in his new role at Thomas Worthington, he has already gained a sense of gratitude for all he has experienced and says he is excited for his future ahead. 

“Thomas Worthington is a model for how education should look”, Thornhill reflects. “I’m glad to be here.”