I Scream for Dairy Queen

A Worthington icon with a scary level of popularity
The Old Worthington Dairy Queen tries on a new style with Halloween decorations like skeletons and other terrifying monsters.
Lily McAlister

A classic sweet treat that is eaten year-round in Worthington is the iconic ice cream served by Dairy Queen on the corner of N. High and North Street. The Worthington location was first opened in 1956 but was then sold in 1983 to the Overstreet family who has been operating it since. Not only is it an ice cream go-to, it has also been employing high school students in Worthington for generations. 

Junior Ellis Montalvo has been working at the Old Worthington location for about 4 months now. He showed interest in working at a Dairy Queen when he decided that he wanted to make money for himself instead of his parents lending him money/doing chores, plus it was close to his house and a well known place. “I have made a lot of new friends and connected with new people since starting to work there.” Says Montalvo.

Dairy Queen is also known as a popular hangout spot for middle and high school students. For freshmen Wes Brown and Max Sterling, the two grew up going to the DQ. Brown first moved to Worthington from Clintonville in 2013 with his family. “The first time I went was probably when I first moved here with my parents when I was like seven, but now I go there with my friends all the time.” Whether it’s a baseball team made up of 5-year-olds, or a group of high school students, the Dairy Queen really is a great place for all ages to meet up in Worthington.

Another employee of the iconic fast food chain is Kyle Koch. Koch has been working at the location for years and has made a lot of fond memories there. “I enjoy working with my friends and helping people indulge with our food,” said Koch when being asked why he works there.

The first ever Dairy Queen opened in Joliet, Illinois in 1940. The business then shortly started to expand all over the world. Now with over 7,000 locations in over 20 countries, everyone should be familiar with its name. With Dairy Queen being a staple for families in Worthington, it has and continues to bring people together, well enjoying a delicious sweet treat.