The student news site of Thomas Worthington High School

Juliet Kelsten on the Complexities of Work/Life Balance

ELA Teacher Juliet Kelsten holding her son, Harvey.

Thomas Worthington English teacher, Juliet Kelsten has recently returned from maternity leave and is now balancing teaching English with her role as a new mother. Kelsten’s passion for teaching started from a young age.

“I’ve actually wanted to be a teacher since I was pretty much like four or five years old,” Kelsten said.  “I just loved the whole atmosphere, the things on the wall to look at, I was very intrigued by the teacher. I even had a little classroom in my house.”

After seeing her dreams into fruition, Kelsten hopes to pass on important lessons to her students.

“I want them to [do] a lot of learning, but I want them to understand their health needs to be their priority,” continued Kelsten. “I’m sure you remember from my class whether you’re not feeling well physically, mentally, or emotionally. You can’t learn if you aren’t there. Take care of yourself first then work hard. Hopefully, you’ll love something about reading and writing English but if you don’t that’s okay too.”

Supporting her students has always been important to Kelsten, but following her own advice is a challenge, especially with another priority.

“It’s a whole new experience trying to figure out my time mostly, and then also to take my own advice,” Kelsten reflects. “I tell my students to keep in mind their health and what they need, but it’s very hard to do that for myself.”

Kelsten’s love for teaching and new perspective of a parent will only help her grow as a teacher. 

“I think becoming a parent also has made me a better teacher and will continue to influence me in positive ways,” Kelsten said. “I understand kids and families better now. I also see development and learning happening from the beginning, which helps me add fun things into my plans.”