The student news site of Thomas Worthington High School

Seasonal Skincare: Adapting Your Beauty Routine for Winter Weather

Close up of various skin care products to hydrate the skin during the dry winter

With the winter season creeping up on us, the drop in temperature and lack of humidity can cause our skin barrier to have a difficult time retaining moisture leading to itchy dry skin. It is important to choose products based off the amount of hydration it gives you.

As the seasons change, so should your beauty regimens.  Board certified dermatologist Dr. Corey L. Hartman expresses why being aware of your products and the way skin reacts to them is important. “Be mindful of the active ingredients like retinol, hydroxy acids, astringents, and alcohols, which can cause dryness and need to be moderated during the winter months. Just because your skin can tolerate them during warmer seasons doesn’t mean they can be used in the winter.” Dr. Hartman explains. 

To support your next skincare shopping trip beauty specialists have researched the best products for all different skin types throughout the winter season. 

Those with dry skin will benefit most from a thicker formulated moisturizer to soothe skin barrier while adding moisture. As well as a cleaner that will leave natural oils on your skin whilst removing unnatural oils. Those with sensitive skin will retain the same idea with products slightly more gentle like first aid beauty. 

A senior at Thomas Worthington High School was interviewed related to their skincare. When asked about how skin care affects their day to day life she says “Oftentimes I get insecure of my skin because beauty standards are high and it’s difficult to find products that work.” following this question she was asked about her skincare routine and if it changes. “I do tend to add more moisturizer but my products never change. ” Lastly she was asked if the winter months affect her skin and her reply was expected. “ My skin gets extremely dry and begins to break out.” Supporting Dr. Hartman’s research. 

Another senior was interviewed with similar questions relating to skincare to gather more information. To begin she was asked what her skin type usually is. “Typically my skin is quite oily and sensitive to products.” she states. She begins to go into detail about how the winter affects her skin. “Not only does my skin dry out but my lips also tend to crack and get dry.” 

Supporting Elizabeth Kiracofe’s idea of protecting all parts of our bodies not limited to our face. “Make sure that as little skin as possible is exposed to the elements and you protect your lips by wearing lip balm.”