The student news site of Thomas Worthington High School

The Total Eclipse
The Total Eclipse
May 15, 2024

Pretty Fly for July: Summer Clothing

Jack Murphy
Photo of clothing taken at Flower Child thrift store in Columbus.

With the end of April, we are getting ready to say goodbye to our seniors, and more importantly, cold weather! TWHS students have expressed their excitement when it comes to warm weather clothing, especially the ones wearing shorts in 30-degree weather… Although the weather is averaging in the 60s and got to a whopping 80 degrees last week. Meaning it’s time to get out the shorts, dust them off, and make some outfits.

Ohio’s weather can be all over the place so it is important to have all of the basics covered. A classic white top, black top, jeans, and shorts. With those basics, any outfit can easily be made into fire-fits using some statement items.

Asymmetrical Top: A top coming into popularity recently is an asymmetrical top. The asymmetry presents a bold look that is easily matched with jorts, cargo shorts, or a long flowy skirt, senior Mollie Guiger was inspired by these looks to go to a recent concert and expressed that “asymmetrical tops are perfect for going with what I wanted to try out this summer, which are long jorts and jean skirts! A good common rule to go by is using either a fun shirt and plain bottoms, or fun bottoms and a plain top!

Sundress: It is sundress season and they are becoming more popular as the year goes on, sun dresses are moveable, breathable, and gorgeous to wear. Sundresses are easily found at local thrift stores for cheap, reusing and recycling clothes is better for the environment, rather than buying them from Shein or Temu. 

Two pieces: Two pieces aren’t just bikinis worn to the pool, a bold look can be a matching set. Two sets are perfect outfits to be worn in a pinch when there is no time to put together an outfit. Although these outfits can be pricey and harder to find, Amazon has some great deals with summer clothing!

Flannels: No need to use your flannels only during the fall with your pumpkin spice lattes, a gender-neutral option that can be worn alone buttoned up, or with any cute top under it as a cover-up from the sun. Senior Braylen Villo at Thomas Worthington likes flannels because “they are a simple way to spice up an outfit and can be found for very cheap at any thrift store.”

Bandanna: A simple accessory that can be added to any basic outfit to make it one of a kind, is a bandanna. Bandannas are gender-neutral items that can be worn in so many ways, senior Kaitlyn McCloskey wants to try out all the different ways this summer, “I want to try it as a bracelet, anklet, and over my hair this summerI’m excited to try something new!” With summer around the cornerit’s time to channel some Outer Banks vibes!

Fashion is expression, and can be taken in any direction, learn to have fun with it and show yourself! Or listen to Mr. Scully, Thomas Worthington’s principal, and wear the same clothes for decades.