The student news site of Thomas Worthington High School

The Uncertain Future of Ohio State Football Under Coach Ryan Day

A+view+of+the+Buckeye+field+from+the+top+of+the+Shoe+during+a+game+against+Minnesota+
Ryleigh Sharp
A view of the Buckeye field from the top of the Shoe during a game against Minnesota

Ohio State University football was ranked as the second seed this season. Ryan Day is the 24th head coach to go through the Ohio State Buckeyes football team. Day gets $10.2 million per season with the Buckeyes which puts him as number four for highest-paid coaches in college football history. There are many controversies about Coach Day, some speak highly of him while others blame him. Recently, many OSU fans have wanted to see him fired, losing to Michigan for the third consecutive year firing the fans up. 

Many have made it obvious they aren’t happy under Day’s coaching. Although he has pathed a 56-7 record at Ohio State, fans aren’t satisfied with how the season for the Buckeyes is going. Because of this, the opinions are split, some focused on winning seasons, others on the losses. 

Avery Hughes, daughter of an Ohio State superfan, shared her opinions on Coach Day and how he has affected the season’s outcomes. “All of the players have said Day is a great coach. I think one of his biggest mistakes was recruiting Kyle McCord, though I think he did know Marvin Harrison Jr.  would follow his best friend, which he did,” Avery said. “That led Day to have the greatest player on the field this season, but McCord never really pulled through.” Avery doesn’t think McCord’s success is Day’s fault. 

Whether or not Day will continue coaching at Ohio State is the talk of Buckeye Nation. Buckeye fans want a National Championship and for the past 3 years, they haven’t had a chance. People are split on whether he is a good coach for Ohio State or if he is dragging them down. Whichever side one is on, everyone has made their opinion loud and clear. 

Ohio State football fan Naj Asadi-Hill shared her thoughts on Day’s future. “I think he will stay at OSU and I think that he should stay,” Naj said. “The loss against Michigan has only motivated him, as seen in press conferences. All the players have said they think Day is a great coach and so do I but I think next season will be successful.” Naj also shared that this season has only lit a fire under him. 

Buckeye fans can’t make their minds up whether Day is the coach they want in control of their team. However, Day has had successful seasons with OSU, finding new people to lead the team to victory, and coaching them to a winning season. Only time will tell if Ryan Day will continue to be a Buckeye.