The student news site of Thomas Worthington High School

Skims Against Feminism, Nipples Against The World?

Kris Jenner, please don’t come for us…
Is showing your nipples out or in?
Is showing your nipples out or in?

Internet sensation Kim K, a member of the well-known Kardashian-Jenner Empire as well as their hit famous reality TV show, Keeping Up with the Kardashians, has recently launched a new product for her brand: The Nipple Bra.

Whether you love or hate Kim, nobody can deny that her brand Skims, a brand selling women’s clothing from sweat sets to formal dresses and other intimates, has recently influenced younger generations. Skims has recently released a more controversial item causing feminists to speak out for and against this product.

Kim released what she’s calling a “nipple bra”. This is a normal seamless, push-up bra, made with fake padded nipples to give the look of not wearing a bra while enlarging the wearer’s breasts. The issue most people have is not against the idea of showing nipples–after all everyone has them– but the unrealistic standards it is putting on women’s bodies. The idea of needing to wear something like this rather than simply going without a bra to achieve the same desired look is problematic to many, but ultimately many have a love/ hate relationship with the concept.

After speaking to many women at Thomas Worthington High School, the different opinions and thoughts are fascinating. Junior Jaden Sullanger, a stan of Kardashian, and her brand says “It’s kinda weird Kim made a bra just to make it look like you’re not wearing one. This being said, I trust Kim with my life and she knows what she’s doing. To each their own.”

An anonymous quote from a senior took a different take on this.

“I don’t know how I feel, Kim’s entire brand is surrounded by the fact that she is very perfect and almost plastic,” the source said.  I think this bra shows that. It’s making women think they need a bra to make them look like they aren’t wearing one–kind of silly. I feel like if you want to achieve this look you don’t need to buy a $70 bra and you can just be yourself.”

But how is this affecting the younger generations? Many people have been asking.

“It’s stupid, it’s gonna make all these little girls think they need to show off their nipples and it’s honestly not appropriate,” junior Lily McAlister said. “I feel bad for the little girls thinking they need to change so much about themselves just because a celebrity came out with a product.”

Parents share similar views.

“I would have a lot of questions if one of my daughters came home with this,” mother and teacher Emma Ruiz said. “Why is [Kardashian] making and marketing products like this? If you don’t want to wear a bra that’s fine, but buying this bra does not represent femininity. It’s simply directed towards the male gaze.”

So what do some male students think? Do they agree that this is only marketed towards the male gaze, or do they think it accurately represents femininity and lets people express themselves in different ways?

“I don’t think this represents or misrepresents girl power at all,” a senior boy who would like to remain anonymous said. “I think if you want your nipples showing then do it, if not then don’t. But don’t complain about boys catcalling or mentioning it.”

Senior and football captain Logan Gardner has a slightly different take saying, “I believe that women can wear whatever they want. It’s NOT my body so it’s not my choice. It doesn’t matter what I think.”

Another Senior, Vincent Broadley, has a similar opinion.

“I think it is an interesting concept and if wearing it exhibits positive femininity then it’s no one’s place to reject it,” Broadly reflects. “But there are definitely groups who will take it the wrong way.”