The student news site of Thomas Worthington High School

The Total Eclipse
The Total Eclipse
May 15, 2024

Easy Summer Side Hustles to Make Extra Cash

With summer fast approaching, everyone is on the lookout for easy ways to make bank without the commitment of a full-time job. We all want the benefits of a job without the time consuming aspects so we can enjoy the warm break. There are numerous ways to earn some cash and still soak up the summer. 

There is never a shortage for the need for childcare. Whether you can drive or spend a few hours during the week, babysitting or nannying is a great way to earn some money. As a nanny you take care of kids for most of the day and make sure they are safe and taken care of. For those looking for something more flexible, babysitting allows you to watch kids for shorter periods, like evenings or weekends. Babysitters can be hired for date nights, appointments, or any time parents need a helping hand for a few hours. You’ll keep the kids engaged with games, activities, and supervision. It allows you to be creative, have fun, and make great money – all while giving parents peace of mind. Best of all, your schedule remains open for other summer plans and hangouts with friends when not babysitting.

If childcare isn’t for you, then maybe dog walking is the best summer job. A dog walker picks up the dog, usually from its home, and walks it when the owner is unable to walk it. Some dog walkers only walk one dog at a time, while others walk several at one time. Dog walking allows you to be outdoors, get some exercise, and spend time with energetic and affectionate pets. It’s a very easy way to make some money while enjoying the company of cute and friendly dogs. The great thing about dog walking is the flexible schedule – you can often choose time windows that fit your availability. Many dog walkers use apps or online platforms to find clients and arrange visits. You’ll need to be comfortable managing dogs of different sizes and temperaments. But for any animal lover, getting paid to walk around the neighborhood with adorable pups is about as good as a summer job gets!

For those who don’t mind working up a sweat, lawn and garden care services are in high demand during the summer months. Mowing lawns, pulling weeds, planting flowers, laying mulch, trimming hedges and bushes are all typical tasks. Lawn and garden care allows you to get exercise and a sun-kissed tan while helping homeowners and residents who simply lack the time, ability or desire to maintain their yards themselves. Many neighborhood teenagers start small lawn businesses in the summer, going door-to-door offering affordable mowing and yard services.

If you spend your summers by the pool, why not make some money too. Lifeguarding is the perfect summer gig for those who love the water and want to work on their tan. As a lifeguard, you’ll get to sit poolside, keeping a watchful eye on swimmers to ensure everyone’s safety. While it may seem like you’re just kicking back in the sun all day, lifeguarding is an important responsibility. You’ll need to be an excellent swimmer, certified in CPR/first aid, and able to quickly react in an emergency situation. You’ll build enviable tan lines while having fun interacting with people enjoying summer festivities. Lifeguards are in high demand once temperatures heat up, so it’s a great way to make cash during the busy swimming months. Just be prepared to regularly rotate between guarding the water and taking breaks to avoid too much sun exposure. Overall it’s a coveted summer job for any sun-lover.

Summer is the perfect time to earn some extra cash through flexible, seasonal job opportunities. Whether you prefer working with kids, animals, or getting outdoors, there are plenty of options that allow you to make money while still leaving time to soak up the sun and enjoy the warm weather. Babysitting, nannying, dog walking, lawn care, lifeguarding – these are just some of the gigs that peak during the summer months when demand is high. So don’t spend your entire summer bored or broke. Take advantage of the increased need for services and use your free time productively earning money. Get out there and make this summer one to remember!